Saturday, December 10, 2011

Chicks and other fowl things....

We did not have great success with our egg hatching. We will research more before we start again. We got 8 chicks, but one died. They are cute. I have taught them how to drink from the cup. There is a special fitting on the bottom that they peck and a drop of water comes out. I had to pick up each one and tap their beaks. I did it last night and this morning, then mid morning, I heard them pecking away. We have the 13 black copper maran eggs which will hopefully hatch just before Christmas.



I decided I wanted to feed the birds. Not just to feed them, but to have them close enough to take pictures of them! I am a bit selfish. I have loved how beautiful these birds are; the Cardinals and Blue Jays. There are other birds, not as bright, but beautiful. We will have to find out what they are.



The stick in the tree below is just that, a stick, a little limb that is stuck in the tree. I was going to get it down, but have noticed that the cardinals love to be on it. They love how it rocks. I've noticed other areas they like to land on, and they rock and sway. On the other hand, the Jays HATE to be on anything that sways or rocks. They are a very skittish bird. When they have discovered that I am taking pictures...they are gone!


We usually have a lot of Cardinals, but yesterday was Jay day. When they know the seed is there, there are usually 10 or so Cardinals. When I looked out yesterday, there were that many Jays, which allowed me to take a few pictures.




In feeding the birds, with their spill over, we also feed the squirrels.

No comments: