Monday, March 26, 2012

More Spring....

Spring has the tendency to bring out the 'pyro' in some of us country folks, especially when it is the designated way of taking care of last year's weeds and leaves in the area you live in.  I remember the springs in Waterflow.  You knew it was spring because of the spring burning.  It's actually a smell I like, I think because the smell does mean Spring to me, the season I love the most because, it means Winter is over, the season I hate!  You just have to choose a day when the breeze, not wind, is right and the burn index is low.  When you live in a place where the rainfall is more than 16 inches a year and the humidity is high, there are quite a few windows that qualify.  Right after we did the burn, it rained for a week.  The pasture and everything else is amazing!



We really don't go out of our front door that often, but today we did and saw these beautiful flowers coming from some vines that climbed the supports of the deck.  They are about 8 to 10 inches long.  These pictures show them just beginning to open up.  The buds they come from look a bit like pine cones!  These vines, by the way, are a total pain.  I pruned them like crazy last summer, Isaac pruned them again mid summer, Stan pruned them again in November.  They grow over into the oak trees that are close to the house, their viney little fingers groping until they come into contact with something they can overtake.  Overtake is NOT too harsh of a expression!  These vines were going to be chopped down here in another couple of weeks.  Well....they still might be....  Like I said overtake is what they do and undoing what they overtake is time consuming, very!  These may be the first and last time I see these beautiful blooms...in my own yard.





We found out that these trees are simply called "Red Buds".  I loved seeing the bright green leaves coming out at the top of the trees where they get the most sun.  We will probably keep a few of these trees, because they are beautiful, but not the 10 we have.  We are looking forward to fruit trees. 


No comments: